Whether it was the Braunharts on my father’s side or the Kreymborgs on my mother’s side – I was beset with spelling issues when searching databases. Thanks to indexing issues as well as recording problems by people who wrote down these last names, or even my own relatives who provided a wide variety of spelling to those who recorded the info – this was a huge stumbling block.
For example, in newspapers, death certificates, census records, immigration records, etc. – Braunhart was spelled Braunhart, Braundardt, Braunhardt, Bramhart, Brownhart and even more varieties. Kreymborg was spelled, Kreyenborg, Kreymborg, Krymborg, Kreimberg, just to name a few.
So trying to find the right person was and still is a huge challenge.
This was the only way that I could find all the Braunhart records that I did. And was the only way that I found my great grandmother Carolena Kreymborg and her sister Bertha’s immigration records. Those records had different spellings that were far different than their “real names”. And trust me – their “real names” were not always the same.